Hikers, Mountain Bikers and Nature Lovers Get Ready!
If you’re like us, you’re beginning to get tired of cold, winter weather and are looking forward to the first signs of spring; chirping birds, blooming flowers and bright, sunny days. You may even be filling out a wish list of things to do outside when the temperatures warm. Much to our delight, the native geography of the Lake Lure and area surrounding the Resort makes it a natural home to a wide variety of outdoor and recreational activities. There are active climbing, bouldering and paddling communities in the area that take advantage of Chimney Rock State Park and the Blue Ridge Escarpment that includes Rumbling Bald Mountain. Vacationers, sportsmen, nature-lovers and locals have long admired its charms but past access was somewhat restricted.
Luckily, that’s about to change. Very soon, guests will be able to see the rugged rolling foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains from a new trail system being constructed along Buffalo Creek Park just north of Lake Lure, North Carolina. A few great points of interest about the trail system include:
- Two trailheads, a public one at Buffalo Creek Road and a second trailhead located within the Resort’s perimeter for resort residents and guests.
- Located approximately one-third mile apart, the trailheads are connected with mostly flat, smooth trails. This inviting area between the trailheads will provide access to a wide variety of visitors who run the gamut of ability levels and interests, from the stroll-at-a-snail’s pace dog-walker to the serious outdoor athlete.
- The mountain trail snakes upward in a 3 ½ mile stacked loop that climbs approximately 600 feet through forest terrain and boulder fields.
- Designed with mountain biking in mind, the system is suitable for all forms of foot traffic. The winding paths will be easily shared by trail runners, day hikers, amateur naturalists and relaxed amblers of all ages.
- An additional 1 ½ miles of trail are scheduled to be completed by this spring, (for a total of five miles).
Tip for visiting bikers: The longer, elevated part of the system will provide an appealing challenge to serious intermediate and advanced bikers; but, the casual family biker will want to stick to the flatter paths near the trailheads. Bike rentals will even be available for the most intrepid peddlers.
The Resort’s trailhead also gives area day and overnight visitors a chance to enjoy the resort’s unique mix of public-private amenities. While our restaurants and golf courses are open to the public, other resort treasures like the pools, beach, wellness center and full-service spa and salon are available exclusively for Rumbling Bald Resort guests.
Continue to check back, as we plan to offer a variety of packages for hikers, bikers and daydreamers who want to follow an invigorating day of exploring the trails with a delicious meal, an indulgent massage or even an relaxing night’s sleep rustic, mountain setting. Happy trails indeed!