Located on the north end of stunning Lake Lure, Rumbling Bald is one of Western North Carolina’s only multi-course golf resorts. An hour’s drive from Asheville and less than two hours from Charlotte, it features two contrasting 18-hole layouts: W.B. Lewis-designed Bald Mountain and Dan Maples-designed Apple Valley.
Designed by noted golf course architect and Pinehurst native Dan Maples, Apple Valley stretches to nearly 6,800 yards and features expansive views of Bald Mountain and the surrounding Lake Lure area. Maples estimated that 75% of all shots at Apple Valley are either level or downhill, virtually unheard for a mountain course.
Shimmering mountain lakes adorn 12 holes on Apple Valley, but water only occasionally comes into play. The back nine is widely regarded as one of the best closing stretches in the Western Carolinas. The par-3 14th hole, with its shallow green and back bunker, is reminiscent of No. 12 at Augusta National. Exhilarating par 5s abound throughout Apple Valley, including the straight away downhill par-5 15th hole.
Rumbling Bald and Apple Valley are proud to be a part of North Carolina’s “First Family of Golf.” Dan Maples’ father, Ellis, was a prolific golf course designer and his grandfather, Frank, was Donald Ross’s superintendent at Pinehurst Resort.
Designed by W.B. Lewis, 6,300-yard Bald Mountain is renowned for its unique configuration of five par 5s and five par 3s. Movie buffs appreciate the 16th green, the backdrop of a scene from the movie “Dirty Dancing.” A protégé of golf course architect George Cobb, Lewis is known for his traditional approach to course design. This philosophy is reflected in Bald Mountain’s playability from tee to green.
In contrast to Apple Valley, Bald Mountain is what many golf aficionados refer to as a “true North Carolina mountain course.” Elevation changes, particularly on the back, offer a beguiling mix of uphill and downhill shots amid a variety of doglegs and straight fairways. The majority of green fronts are open, bringing both the ground and aerial game into play.
Stay and Play Packages
We have created exclusive golf packages and special offers, at fantastic rates, to provide the best possible experience here at Rumbling Bald on Lake Lure. These packages and offers are updated frequently, so make sure you don’t miss out on our latest deals.
Golf Operations and COVID-19
We are taking these precautions to allow you to enjoy your beautiful golf courses during these difficult times. We are doing everything we can to ensure that the golf courses will be an option to enjoy and we hope you will help us in our goal.
- The driving ranges will also remain open and balls will be placed on the range each morning for you to enjoy. No need to check-in.
- Staff will be present in the cart staging area to welcome and check-in members and guests.
- The staff will disinfect and sanitize golf carts before and after use.
- Golf carts will still be available, one cart per player, unless your cart partner is an immediate family member. Carts will be made available on a first-come basis.
- We encourage all golfers to bring hand sanitizer from home to be used while playing golf.
- Water coolers have been removed from the course until further notice.
- Please always leave the flagstick in and avoid touching.
- Please note that bunker rakes have been removed. We ask that golfers do their best to smooth sand surfaces with their feet.
- On-Course restrooms will continue to be sanitized by our cleaning crews.
- We have removed sand bottles from our carts until further notice.
- We will have doors propped open.
- The water and ice machine will be temporarily out of service.
If you have any questions or concerns, please call the Pro Shop directly at 828.694.3042.